“In June 2012, after playing basketball with friends, I spotted a less fortunate man walking around barefoot. A sense of urgency came over me to take action. I was compelled to take off my sneakers and offered them to this gentleman. Nothing compared to the gratitude he expressed for this small act of kindness. This interaction made me realize that there are many people similar to this man, without so much as a decent pair of shoes. I knew in my heart there had to be something more I could do, to make their walk through life a little easier. From that one moment, the idea of It’s From The Sole began”.
WHAT WE COLLECT
We accept shoes and sneakers that are new and unused.
HOW WE COLLECT
We work with everyone from local residents and businesses to universities and schools to collect sneakers and shoes.
HOW WE DISTRIBUTE
We distribute new sneakers to those in need on both a case-by-case and scheduled basis. Join us!
“Once ready for distribution, I would fill a rolling duffel bag, hop on the train and hand deliver sneakers to the less fortunate in three locations of Manhattan – Port Authority Bus Terminal, Bryant Park, and Union Square – known as the ‘Love Triangle’.”
Andre was born in St. Michaels, Barbados and moved to Brooklyn, New York at the age of five. His mantra, driving the organization, is “From the soul of your heart, to the sole of their feet”.
““For the first two and a half years I handled the collection, cleaning, and distribution alone and at my own expense. To aid in some of my efforts, I now recruit high school and college students, teaching them how to give back while performing community service for a cool organization. We also work with major fashions brands, local businesses, international/local non profits, the NBA and celebrities, who are interested in giving back to their communities”.
To date, It’s From The Sole has…
- Distributed over 40,000 pairs of sneakers to the less fortunate to 19 countries and 51 cities in the USA.
- Hosted bi-weekly sneaker distribution events in major cities.
Recent awards & recognitions include…
- 2014 National Pine Forge Academy Community Service Award.
- 2014 Yahoo Nicest Man in Fashion Award.
- 2014 Greg & Rosanne Fox 5 Award
- 2015 TD Bank ‘Bring Change’ Award
- 2015 New York 1 New Yorker of the Year and Week Award from NY1.
- 2015 NAACP Award
- 2016 Borough of Brooklyn City Council Award
- 2017 Channel 9 For Goodness Sake Award
- 2018 Fashion 500 Philanthropy Award
- 2019 Page Six Way to Wednesday
- 2019 Mario Armstrong Never Settle Show Award
- 2019 Barbados Change Award
- 2019 Total Life Change Award
- 2019 Brooklyn By Faith Award
- 2020 NYC Organizations Covid Award
- 2020 Essence Essential Award
- 2020 Asus Chrome Book Award
- 2020 Mayors Duberka Guinea Award
- 2021 Hero of the Day: Fox5 News
- 2021 NY Knicks & Square Space Make it Award
- NBRA- National Basketball Referee Association Award Annually from 2016 -2023
- 2023 Padala Charitable Trust in India: Paying it Forward Award